What are cookies?
The VRT Sales website www.vrtsales.be makes use of ‘cookies’. Cookies are small data or text files that are installed on your computer or mobile device when you visit the website. Cookie files contain unique codes that, for example, allow your browser to recognise you during your visit to an online service.
Where do cookies come from?
VRT makes a distinction between first-party and third-party cookies.
- First-party cookies are direct cookies managed by VRT. These cookies are part of the VRT Sales website.
- Third-party cookies are cookies that are managed or placed by a third party. This occurs during your visit or use of the VRT Sales website. Third-party cookies ensure that certain data, collected during your visit or use of the VRT Sales website, are sent to third parties. Social media cookies are an example of third-party cookies. Although VRT does not manage or place these cookies, VRT intends to control the placement of these cookies by third parties via our website.
What cookies does the VRT use and for what purposes?
Various types of cookies can be placed via the VRT Sales website. The cookies can be divided into various categories, listed below. The cookies listed below are not necessarily all placed simultaneously via the website.
- Necessary functional cookies are cookies that are needed to use our online services properly. If you refuse these cookies, (certain parts of) our website will not function (properly). VRT uses these cookies to provide the following benefits, among others:
- Retaining information filled in or marked by you on the various pages of the website. Hence, your data or preferences have not to be registered again.
- Storing settings for optimal video display, such as the desired buffer size and the resolution data of your screen.
- Reading your browser settings to be able to display our website on your screen optimally.
- Uniformly loading the website so that it always remains accessible.
- Analytic cookies collect general information regarding the use of our website. We can make statistical analyses of the information we gather. By using statistical results the structure, navigation and content of the VRT Sales website is made more user-friendly and can be improved. We also use these data to report on VRT services or in the framework of studies in which VRT participates.
- Social media cookies are used to enable the integration of social network sites on the website. The VRT Sales website can contain embedded elements from third parties. That can involve content that is stored by another party, but that is displayed on, in or via the VRT Sales website. Furthermore, VRT content can be shared via social network sites by buttons on our online services. Examples of these social media are Facebook, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn and Twitter. These third parties can place cookies via our online services to collect data. VRT has no influence on what these social media do with their cookies. For more information on these cookies, VRT refers to the statements that the third parties make about this on their own websites. Take into account that these statements can change on a regular basis.
- Other cookies are cookies that do not qualify as cookies under the other categories. These include cookies that can be employed to make our own web analyses and improve our website. In addition to the analytic cookies referred to above, other web analytic cookies can be used. In contrast to analytic cookies, you can disable web analytic cookies. These cookies can process data that can identify you. With the aforementioned analytic cookies that is not the case.
How long do cookies persist?
With a link to the period of existence, a distinction can be made between temporary and permanent cookies on the basis of the period of existence of the cookies.
- Temporary cookies are temporarily stored in your browser. This implies that these cookies are deleted as soon as you have closed your browser.
- Permanent cookies remain on your computer even when you have closed your browser. Permanent cookies allow us to recognise you when you re-visit the website. Permanent cookies remain on your device until a previously determined automatic end date is reached, until a new cookie is installed, or until you delete them via the settings of your browser or mobile device.
- Via the VRT Sales website
When you visit the VRT Sales website for the first time, you have the option to accept specific types of cookies. Moreover you can modify the cookie use by type at any time by using the checkboxes in the ‘Cookie settings’ menu.
Not all types of cookies can be modified. The necessary functional cookies and analytic cookies referred to above cannot be modified. These cookies are required to allow our website to function properly or to collect general information about the use of the website. The data we may collect via these cookies are anonymous; identification will not be possible.
- Via the browser
You can also manage or refuse the installation of cookies via your browser settings. Cookies that are already installed on your computer or mobile device can be deleted at any time.
Please consult the procedure for refusing cookies for the most common browsers. Do you want to receive more information by type of browser? Then be sure to read the cookie pages of Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
Should I also read other VRT statements?
Who can I contact for further questions or any complaints about cookies?
You can also always contact our customer service. Moreover, VRT has a so-called Data Protection Officer (DPO). This person oversees the protection of your data with the VRT. Our DPO can be contacted via DPO@vrt.be.